How to change your Outgoing Server settings:
If you only use MAIN's webmail, you do not need to do anything with Outgoing Server settings.
It would help to make these changes when you are not connected to MAIN. Remember also, you can always access your email online through Webmail until you get your email program working correctly, here. Instructions on how to use Webmail can be found at the link here.
You can also fill out a request online at the link below to send an email to the Helpdesk. here. If you need additional help, please call the Helpdesk toll free at 866-962-6246 or in Buncombe County 255-0182 and we will be glad to help you update your settings.
Outlook Express, Microsoft Mail, Microsoft Live Mail and Incredimail
1. Open the email program, either by clicking on the icon on the desktop or from the Start Menu (it is probably listed in the Programs or All Programs menu).
2. At the top of the Outlook Express window on the same bar as File, Edit, View, etc., click on Tools. Then choose Accounts from the list.
3. This opens the Internet Accounts window. Click on the Mail tab. Double click on the account name you want to modify.
4. Click on the Servers tab at the top. Click in the Outgoing Servers box and change it (make sure to use lower case letters!) to:
5. Put a check in the box "My server requires authentication". Click on Settings and put a dot in "Log on using". In the Account name box put in your full email address (make sure to use lower case letter and do not use an alias!).
Put your password in the password box.
Click OK at the bottom of the window.
6. Click on the Advanced tab. In the box next to "Outgoing mail(SMTP) change the number to 2500 and click OK at the bottom of the window. Then click the Close button.
Configuring Thunderbird (Windows)
1. Click on the Tools menu, and then Account Settings.
2. Click on Outgoing Server (SMTP) at the bottom of the white column.
3. In the white box on the right will be listed your outgoing server. Double click on it.
4. Where it says "Server Name" change it to (make sure to use lower case letters!):
Change the port to 2500
5. Below in the User Name window, put in your email address (make sure to use lower case letter and do not use an alias!).
6. For "Use secure connection:" put a dot in "TLS, if available"
7. Click OK and OK again at the bottom of the next window.
Apple Mail Program
(These are the instructions for the most common version of Apple Mail, if yours is different, please call the Helpdesk and we can walk you through it.):
1. Open your Mail application.
2. Go to Mail Preferences, under the Mail menu. Make sure Accounts is chosen at the top.
3. In the lefthand column, click on the account you want to change.
4. On the right, look for Outgoing Server (SMTP) and click on Server Settings
5. Change Outgoing Server to (make sure to use lower case letters!):
Change the server port to 2500
Click on Authentication and change to Password
Below in the User Name window, put in your email address (make sure to use lower case letter and do not use an alias!)
Put in your password.
6. Click OK and close the Preferences (Accounts) window.\\