GREEN FAMILY LIVED IN HISTORIC
Graham Star Correspondent
citizens and tourists alike have admired the Gunter Cabin
in Fontana, but few around today have the
distinction of having actually lived in the cabin. The Green family can.
Gunter Cabin standing pretty much in the center of Fontana Village was built by Jesse Gunter in
1875, ten years after the end of the Civil War. Jesse, who was living
in Stecoah at the time, came to Welch Cove to visit a
brother Cyrene Gunter. Jesse
liked the place so much that he decided to move there. He moved his wife
Catherine, their children, and what few possessions they
had on a sled pulled by oxen.
There were no roads in the area at the time, only a
few trails made by the Cherokee Indians. Jesse had to cut his
way through in places with an axe in order for the oxen
and sled to have run to get through. Upon arriving at Welch
Cove with his family, Jesse set about building a one and
one half story log cabin.
He cleared several acres of land around the cabin, and
built a rail fence around it.
February 1884, two of the Gunter children, Hiram, 13, and
Bettie, 10, died. In
November 1888, Jesses wife Catherine died at the
age of 51. They were
buried on a hilltop that was to become the Welch Cove Cemetery.
the Gunters moved out of the cabin, Joel L. Green, Sr. and his wife Grace
Rose Hughes Green moved into it. Four of their six
children, Thelma, Nora, Berlin, and Joel L., Jr., were born
in this cabin. Thelma,
born in 1917 died one day short of being five months old
from a fever. Some of
the Greens are also buried in the Welch Cove Cemetery near the Gunters.
the Greens became noted storekeepers. Berlin and Ray Green operated a store
located on a hilltop at the intersection of Meadow
Branch, Farley Branch, and Old Field Gap Roads. This store was closed
and Greens Foodway was built on U.S. Highway 129
about one mile south of Robbinsville. This store was in
operation for many years and was operated primarily by
Ray and Mary Ellen Green.
Berlin and Ray Green were co-owners
of the store building.
Ray and Berlin Green provided
information for this story.